[Xapian-discuss] XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Mon Jun 11 22:11:07 BST 2007

Kevin Duraj wrote:
> I am running Xapian 1.0.0. and have XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD
> environmental variable set to 10 million of documents.
>
> XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD=10000000
>
> Xapian1.0.0 does not seems to respond to XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD size
> set and not using more memory which causing slow indexing.

I've done some performance tests recently with Xapian 1.0.0, in which
XAPIAN_FLUSH_THRESHOLD very definitely had an effect.  10 million is a
very large value, though: unless your documents are very small, or you
have a very very large amount of memory, you might be getting slow
indexing due to running out of main memory and forcing your index
process to use swap...