[Xapian-discuss] Flint failed to deliver indexing performance to Quartz.

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Mon Jun 18 06:57:45 BST 2007

On 18-6-2007 6:09 Olly Betts wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 11:50:58PM -0700, Kevin Duraj wrote:
>> I am proposing to remove Flint as default database and place Quartz
>> database back as default.
>
> Again, please be realistic.

It must have been pretty hard to not just yell at the guy... :)

> However, it would almost certainly be easier to help us work out why
> flint isn't working as well for you.

I haven't looked at the 1.0/1.0.1 release yet, since it doesn't seem to
be a drop-in replacement in our situation. Our environment is basically
tied to ISO8859-15, at least untill php has native support for utf-8
(and php6 is a while away), so it seems necessary to have support for
that within omega/xapian.
Although it is possible to a encoding-layer, tt would be easiest for me
if that is controllable using the scriptindex-inputscript and the
omega-template.

Did you (already) have plans to add support for other input/output
encodings for omega (and scriptindex)?

Anyway, we'll be having a spare database machine shortly on which I can
try how much time it takes to reindex using the 0.9-version we use
currently and with the latest 1.0-version available at that time.
And I'll also try and see if I can compile a simple benchmark on those
two databases.

Best regards,

Arjen