[Xapian-discuss] Deleted documents not deleted

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jun 20 23:38:37 BST 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:18:20PM +0200, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:
> Yes, the problem seems to be gone. Any idea why I was apparently the only
> one to trigger it ?

I suspect most people don't delete non-existent documents very often.

The problem was that any exception in delete_document() was causing
pending changes to be discarded.  That's a reasonable plan for
unexpected exceptions, as the unflushed state is likely to be
inconsistent after an unexpected exception.  But DocNotFoundError is
expected in the case of a document which doesn't exist.

Now I've realised what's going on, I've produced a small test case
which shows the problem reliably.

I've applied a slightly better version of the patch for flint and
quartz.  The remote backend still exhibits the problem but I'll
fix that shortly once I've worked out what's going on.