[Xapian-discuss] Building 0.9.10 with MSVC++ 2005 Express Edition

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Mar 9 13:23:12 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 10:06:32AM +0000, Charlie Hull wrote:
> Michael Sanders wrote:
> >Regarding omega.exe, when I run this from the command line, a window
> >pops up with the message:
> >
> >"omega.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
> >for the inconvenience."

That's not one of our messages, must be from the OS.

> Yes, you'll need to make sure Omega has the correct command line
> switches and config file setup, otherwise it dies.

It should enter test mode and print something like:

omega - xapian-omega 0.9.10 (compiled Mar  7 2007 17:41:52)
Enter NAME=VALUE lines, end with blank line

Then wait for input.

The exception is if one of the default config file locations exists but
is readable, but that should report the problem not just die!

> >omindex.exe was a bit more promising in that it starts navigating the
> >directory hierarchy and then hangs when it attempts to index a file,
> >e.g. it hangs having printed the following line:
> >
> >Indexing "/diveintopython-5.4/html/appendix/about.html" as text/html ...
>
> I have run into problems with Omindex due to path separators before,
> this may be the issue here.

The external filters will need adjustment (for starters, flipping '/' to
'\' and different escaping rules - xapian-core's test suite has the code
we need), but from HTML and text if you pass in paths with "/" in I
can't see what might cause a problem.

Also, I suspect a number of the external filters don't exist for Windows.