[Xapian-discuss] php5 binding

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Mar 19 14:12:43 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 05:25:26PM +0000, iX Gamerz wrote:
> My first question is :
> - Can we do that or we can index only html and jpeg?

"Indexing jpeg" isn't very easy.  There's an optional text comment
metadata field which can be easily extracted, but if you have a jpeg
image of some text you'll need to run OCR software over it.

If you use "omindex" from Omega for indexing, you can index PDF, doc,
and xls (and many other formats) provided you have the appropriate
filter programs installed.  See the omega documentation for details.

There aren't any such filters in the Xapian library since good quality
filters for most common formats already exist.

> I succeed in using "omindex" function but...
> - How can we use php file to query the quartz database?

I see from your later mail that you've found the PHP examples.  Take a
look at the "simplesearch" example.

Note that you can use "omindex" to index and your own PHP5 code for
searching easily enough.  Another approach is to use omega's "xml"
template and just parse the XML search results output in PHP.