[Xapian-discuss] set_cutoff <percent_cutoff> [<weight_cutoff>]

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri May 11 05:23:43 BST 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 05:53:19PM -0700, Kevin Duraj wrote:
> I want the top speed during indexing and searches, and I do not care about
> smallest database. I think most of users feel the same. If "gzip -9" makes
> the indexing slightly slower, remove it. *smile* :-)

The thing is that smaller is often faster.  Once I/O becomes the
limiting factor, compression will speed things up.  CPU speeds have
increased faster than storage speeds over time, so this is likely to
be more true than it ever was!

It's probably not worth trying to squeeze out every single last byte,
but without benchmarking different compression levels and thresholds
for when to try compressing, we have little idea what a good setting
actually is.