[Xapian-discuss] set_cutoff <percent_cutoff> [<weight_cutoff>]

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon May 14 10:49:24 BST 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 11:30:33AM -0700, Kevin Duraj wrote:

> These users will be hurt having spend their CPU time compressing and
> uncompromising data that the size does not make any difference for them, but
> make huge difference for large data sets and multi servers.

Do we have figures on how much this is hurting you? Sorry, I have a
backlog of email so I may have missed something...

> Recommendation:
> Let's use environment to let user to decide whether to use compression or
> not rather then force user to use compression.

In the long term I feel we should have this as a database option, so
it's something you set at creation time. I strongly dislike
environment variables as a way of tweaking this kind of thing; however
the effect would be the same.

You could always hack the source to build Xapian without compression,
or a lower level of compression. Decompression doesn't need to know
about the compression level (I believe?), so you retain compatability
in most of the places you need it.