[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 1.0 / Apache / Python problem

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri May 25 01:31:09 BST 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 06:52:09PM -0500, Jason Stitt wrote:
> It is, and an extra print statement shows that the xapian module is
> being loaded correctly. It's only the Database creation that fails.

Xapian 1.0.0 defaults to the flint database backend for newly created
databases, rather than quartz as older versions did.  On Unix, Flint
uses fcntl locking rather than the presence of a lock file - that could
make a difference, especially if the index directory is on an NFS mount
or something like that.  Or if you were using flint before, 0.9.x flint
databases sadly aren't compatible with 1.0.0.

Otherwise, Richard did a lot of work on the Python support for 1.0.0, so
perhaps it's related to that.  The only thing related to database
opening I can think of is that C++ exceptions are now translated to
Python exception classes with matching names and inheritance hierarchy,
which makes a difference if the database can't be opened.