[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 1.0 / Apache / Python problem

Jason Stitt jason at wistechnology.com
Fri May 25 14:04:38 BST 2007

On May 25, 2007, at 4:04 AM, James Aylett wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 01:31:09AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>>
>> Xapian 1.0.0 defaults to the flint database backend for newly created
>> databases, rather than quartz as older versions did.  On Unix, Flint
>> uses fcntl locking rather than the presence of a lock file - that
>> could
>> make a difference, especially if the index directory is on an NFS
>> mount
>> or something like that.  Or if you were using flint before, 0.9.x
>> flint
>> databases sadly aren't compatible with 1.0.0.
>
> All of these would fire a Python exception, however, which should be
> detectable. Even if mod_python has been configured to throw it away
> unhelpfully, it should be logged or re-enabled...

By default mod_python prints stack traces. There's no exception being
fired, at least not in Python-space.

> Failing that, try something else, like creating a QueryParser. If that
> works, it's almost certainly disk access/db format change. (On the
> basis that if you can successfully run some code in the library, it's
> probably not a lazy loading bug or similar.)

Good idea. Creating a QueryParser does the same thing.

Incidentally, I can access the QueryParser *class* without a problem,
it's just instantiating it that hangs things up.

What's still bugging me is that this only happens when running under
apache. Is there a way to run a debugger in that circumstance?

Jason