[Xapian-discuss] Size of spelling database ?

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Fri Nov 2 14:50:05 GMT 2007

Fabrice Colin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can one estimate how big the spelling database would be, based
> on the total index size and/or the size of the postlist table ?
>
>>From my own experience, the size of the spelling database is
> roughly similar to the postlist table. That's with indexing documents
> with the TermGenerator, and stemming enabled for most documents.
> Does this sound about right ?

In my experience, the spelling table is a lot smaller than the postlist.
  For example, I have one database for which the spelling table is 16Mb
and the postlist is 576Mb.

However, for a small database, they could well be similar.  I'd expect
the postlist database to grow roughly with the number of documents in
the database, and the spelling database to grow more like the number of
terms.  Assuming there are lots of documents sharing the same terms, the
spelling database should therefore grow a lot more slowly.

What are your current actual sizes?

--
Richard