[Xapian-discuss] is xapian the right solution for me

Stefan Becker stefan.becker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:21:39 GMT 2007

hey together,

i am evaluating a couple full text solutions and just found my way to
xapian. i need to build a search for community users. currently i got
about 500.000 users and the search just stresses my normal RDBMS too
much. i just read the docu but it couldnot answer all of my questions.
it would be nice if someone could just tell me if xapian covers
everything i need.

needs:

-> wildcard search
-> different "fields" where i can search in, for example "firstname"
and "lastname", if i build a query i need to be able to search for a
word in "firstname" and another word in "lastname". those fields need
to be concated by AND
-> sorting after a certain field, in my case the date where the user
last updated his profile
-> search for numbers like zipcode (in field "zipcode" for example),
some engines dont support this
-> live index updates, if a user changes his profile i need to update
the index right away
-> utf8 handling
-> limiting the result to say 500 hits

thats it. thanks for your help!