[Xapian-discuss] Ruby Gem?

Mike Boone boonedocks at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:02:10 GMT 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 8:08 AM, Marcus Rueckert <darix at web.de> wrote:
> 1. it doesnt have to be a gem to be usable within rails.
>    plain old way of installing ruby extensions works well.

I figured as much...I just thought making Xapian into a Gem would make
it more accessible to others. However, I took a look at the Ferret Gem
and it's fairly complex for someone who has not made a Gem before. It
looks like there is Ruby code in there to generate a Makefile and then
compile the Ferret C code. My C expertise in Unix doesn't go very far
beyond ./configure and make, make install. So maybe the best thing for
now is to leave that step alone and just stick with Xapian's install
with Ruby extensions, unless someone else wants to have a go.

> 2. someone would need to write a acts_as_xapian to get the same
>    integration with the rails framework
>
> you are looking more for part 2 right?

This is the part I'd be interested in and capable of working on. I
imagine it wouldn't be too different from acts_as_ferret (from the
user's perspective) and I'm familiar with working with Xapian through
PHP. I'll have a look at it.