[Xapian-discuss] scriptindex memory usage

Jim Spath jspath at pangeamedia.com
Mon Nov 19 18:26:12 GMT 2007

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 05:13:45PM -0500, Jim Spath wrote:
>> scriptindex is using well over 200MB of RAM to build our search index.
>>
>> Is this normal?
>
> I've not studied scriptindex's memory usage much, but that does sounds
> rather high given the reported size of the data.
>
> How are you measuring that memory usage?

I ran top to monitor the index building process.

  9169 schedule  18   0  236m 227m 1504 D   42 44.6   1:27.66 scriptindex

> And what platform is this?  And which Xapian version?

Ubuntu LTS 6.06 and Xapian 1.0.4

>> I can provide the indexer_script configuration file if that would help
>> as well.
>
> Please.

quiz_id : field=quiz_id unique=Q boolean=Q
quiz_title : field=title weight=4 index index=XTITLE
quiz_path : field=path
tags : weight=3 index index=XTAGS
questions : weight=2 index index=XQUESTIONS
answers : weight=1 index index=XANSWERS
adult : field=adult index boolean=XADULT
type : field=type boolean=XTYPE
create_date : value=0
language_string : field=language_string boolean=L

Thanks!
- Jim