[Xapian-discuss] Database Compatibility

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Nov 23 11:21:08 GMT 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 08:28:33AM -0500, Aleph Thomas wrote:

> Hello all, I have a problem, I create a DB using the java binding and
> will use from PHP and not work, not give me results for a simple
> search that work in java, now If I make the same but with a database
> created in python then give me an error that say that not know the
> database type. And the PHP search work ok, for the omega database, and
> a database created using PHP. I have PHP5, and Xapian 1.04, and the
> binding too.

I just want to get this completely clear in my head. You've created a
database using the Java bindings 1.04 and Xapian 1.04, you can search
correctly using the Java bindings but not the PHP5 bindings 1.04. If
you create the database using the Python bindings 1.04, then
<something> (it's not clear what - using PHP bindings?) says it's the
wrong database type.

If you create a database using the PHP bindings, you can search it
using PHP. Similarly, PHP can search an omindex-created database
(using omega 1.04).

I may be confused, but it sounds to me like you may have some
different versions knocking around (and possibly some other problems
as well). I'd also like to know what the actual error was in the very
first thing you report (PHP bindings not searching a Java
binding-created database). You just say it doesn't work - does it give
an error? Does it give no results?

Other information may be helpful at some point, such as what the
database type is (flint or quartz), are you using stemming, and so
on.