[Xapian-discuss] Processing the Xapian results

Simon de la Court info at simondelacourt.nl
Mon Oct 1 13:51:24 BST 2007

Dear Xapian list members,

My first post ever on this list, so please don't go hard on me ;)

I have recently started to work with Xapian, I run a forum for an
opensource game project, and we have trouble with searching in our
topics. MySQLs fulltext does not give the right results, very easy to
setup though, and Google did not index older topics. So I read the
xapian docs and it looked pretty cool to me, a lot more precise than
fulltext and can index everything I want.

But I've got a problem, indexing is easy (well, not entirely, instead
of indexing single messages I have to index whole topics). Not
everybody is allowed to see every topic. And topics are in different
subfora. And I have not yet found a way to get Xapian showing me only
the topics I want, so only the topics for one subforum (if asked) and
only the topics my visitor is allowed to see. Xapian just gives me
the results of all the results found.

The other option for me is to process these results in PHP, but that
would take quite some processing power, and would require caching the
results, because I want these to be spread over several pages.

Has anyone here done a similar implementation of Xapian? I hope you
can help me out.

Thanks in advance and greetings,

Simon de la Court