[Xapian-discuss] "Failed to update flint version file" while reading from index

Markus Wörle mrks at mrks.de
Thu Oct 11 16:21:44 BST 2007

Hello,

after upgrading xapian from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 i get exceptions errors
while searching, such as:

Exception: Failed to update flint version file: /var/lib/wtf/dev/db/
profile/iamflint

and recently

Exception: Flint version file /var/lib/wtf/dev/db/profile/iamflint
should be ((sizeof("IAmFlint""")-1) + 4) bytes

both of these exceptions appear in the same line of my code where i
reopen the Database before searching:

$db->reopen();

I run a single-writer-multiple-readers setup, and the exceptions only
appear in the reader-processes. Could there be some kind of
competition between these processes writing the iamflint file?

Do you have any ideas?

Additionaly I discovered that the "delve" tool in the xapian 1.0.3
Distribution newly needs write-access to the index. Otherwise it dies
with:

Error opening database `/var/lib/wtf/dev/db/profile':
DatabaseOpeningError: Failed to create flint version file: /var/lib/
wtf/dev/db/profile/iamflint.tmp (Permission denied)

Perhaps this might also be in any way concerned with the problem?

Regards,
mrks