[Xapian-discuss] Matches estimate varies with sorting method

Fabrice Colin fabrice.colin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:50:29 BST 2007

Hi all,

I found that the figure returned by MSet::get_matches_estimated() varies
depending on how results are to be sorted.

For instance, in my index, value 4 contains date and time in the format
"yyyymmddhhmmss". For the same query, the number of results will be
estimated to 20000+ when results are first sorted by date and time
with set_sort_by_value_then_relevance(4) and to only 100 if I use
set_sort_by_relevance(). The first figure is the correct one.

Note that the MSet is obtained with Enquire::get_mset(0, 100, 101), so that
probably explains where the 100 comes from.

The estimate will also be correct with set_sort_by_relevance_then_value(4).

If I am not mistaken, a similar problem was reported, and apparently fixed,
back in September :
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/5110

I am using 1.0.3.

Fabrice