[Xapian-discuss] AM_PROG_CC_C_O not found

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Oct 24 19:00:44 BST 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 04:04:44PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 06:15:16AM -0400, Jim wrote:
> > Now, I'm getting
> > configure: error: Can't find SWIG utility
>
> Ah yes, I think there's a chicken and egg situation there.  The SVN tree
> pulls in the appropriate version of the SWIG source and uses that for
> xapian-bindings, but when configure is run we don't have SWIG so
> xapian-bindings fails to find the as-yet-not-built swig binary.  I'm
> suprised that's not been noticed before - perhaps swig's source tree
> isn't fully cleaned by "make distclean".  Anyway, I'll try to fix it.

I checked and this does work - the top level configure tells
xapian-bindings to use SWIG=/path/to/swig/preinst-swig which is a
wrapper script which is generated by swig's configure script, so
it does exist.  And xapian-bindings configure reports:

configure: WARNING: SWIG >= 1.3.32 (SVN rev 9853 or later) required (you have an unknown version)

So I'm not sure where the error above comes from, but my guess is
it is to do with aclocal failing on the SWIG source tree.