[Xapian-discuss] Windows PHP

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Oct 26 00:37:16 BST 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 12:56:52PM -0400, Aleph Thomas wrote:
> Hello all, please I need know, first, how install xapian for php in windows,
> I not can make the dll please any one can send me.

I'm afraid don't have a DLL to send, but you should be able to build
one using the MSVC makefiles linked to from the download page.

If you've tried those and failed, what's the error you're getting?

> And second how I save the xapian db in mysql

If you're asking whether Xapian can use MySQL as a backend, then the
answer is no.  For efficiency Xapian stores data in a format specially
designed for compactness and fast access in the ways which are needed
for implementing free text search.  SQL databases are built to do a
very different job.

If you're asking how to index data from a MySQL database using Xapian,
take a look at the dbi2omega example script which ships with Omega.

> I can make the searchs using Text Index by myself or
> need use Omega and what is the best

I'm not sure what you're asking here at all.

If you want to know how Xapian compares to MySQL's built in free text
indexing, then I can't speak from first-hand experience, but from what
I've heard Xapian is significantly faster.  MySQL's feature seems to be
OK for smaller amounts of data, but for larger amounts it apparently
becomes unacceptably slow.

I don't know how the ranking of results compares.  Xapian uses BM25 by
default, which scores highly in academic studies.  I don't know what
MySQL uses.