[Xapian-discuss] Search performance issues and profiling/debugging

Jim jim at fayettedigital.com
Fri Oct 26 00:51:32 BST 2007

Aleph Thomas wrote:
> And exist a way of  use the Xapian DB in a cluster? The think is that if I
> have a millions of docs I need a very good results of that search, maybe in
> only one PC, I not can get all the good results that I need. Other question,
> this search is make using omega?
>
>  al

Al, there are a number of Xapian users with databases indexing millions
of documents on a single system.  The cpu speed is not as important as
quick disk access and lots of memory.

If you could set up a single system with multiple independent disk
channels, perhaps scsi and 16 Gb of memory I think you would be
surprised at the speeds you would achieve.

It's probably not necessary to cluster, that might be overkill.

Jim.