[Xapian-discuss] Remote database search issues

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Oct 28 05:54:04 GMT 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 02:23:19AM +0200, Ron Kass wrote:
> CAN you run searches with tcpsrv in parallel?
> or can you NOT run searches in parallel with progsrv?

Both can run searches in parallel.  In the case of xapian-tcpsrv, it
forks for each new connection (on Windows a new thread is started),

> If you CAN run searches in parallel with tcpsrv, then this page contains
> wrong information:
> http://www.xapian.org/docs/remote.html : Under "The TCP Method", the
> last line... "Once started, the server will run and listen for
> connections on the configured port, currently handling them one by one
> (although this will change at some point)."

OK, corrected in SVN - "some point" was 15th Aug 2000!

> >Until we track down your uninitialised weights issue, I don't think
> >performance testing is going to give reliable results.
>
> What can we do to help track this? If it requires debugging part of the
> code, I would be happy to. If you can let us know what to do or at least
> point us in the right direction, that would be great.

Could you rebuild xapian-core without optimisation and with assertions
enabled, and then rerun under valgrind?  Details in this message and the