[Xapian-discuss] Search performance issues and profiling/debugging search?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Oct 29 02:02:06 GMT 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 11:06:17PM +0200, Ron Kass wrote:
> On the latest SVN, we ran  : ./configure CXXFLAGS='-O0 -g'
> --enable-assertions ; make; make install
>
> Then ran search through gdb, got SEGV and ran full backtrace, here is
> the output..
>
> http://www.pidgintech.com/other/fts/test/gdb_segfault_backtrace_full_noopt_assert.txt
>
> Hope it helps.

It's dying when trying to do the final sort of the MSet, though that
doesn't necessarily mean that's where the problem is - it may just be
the first place that notices.

I notice that we don't have MSetItem::swap() and the default swap
template is likely to be less efficient, so I've implemented this (and
also ESetItem::swap().  This change shouldn't affect correctness that I
can see though.

Nothing else looks wrong currently, but I'll have another look later.

If you can easily rerun this test under valgrind that might be useful
as it could spot this issue sooner.