[Xapian-discuss] How to beat Google aka Xapian & Natural Language Processing.

Ron Kass ron at pidgintech.com
Tue Oct 2 01:49:31 BST 2007

Two companies to keep in mind when considering NLP search are, PowerSet and
OpinMind.
Actually, allowing effective NLP based search requires (from what I know)
both a little more complex query parsing (understanding the context and
semantic relations between parts of the document) and a much more complex
indexing (storing relations between terms).

For example:
Searching for: who shot dick chaney?
and
Searching for: who dick chaney shot?

Both contain the same words.. so a simple parser as you suggested would
result in the same compiled query. It shouldn't.. these are two different
questions.

Also.. in the documents, if a document contains "John smith was fired upon
by dick chaney", the relation between the individuals and actions are very
important. How else will you know if its a document describing Dick Chaney
shooting John smith or the other way around?

I do agree with you though that NLP is a very important aspect of
intelligent searching and are a way to "beat Google". I think Google is
aware of it too though ;)