[Xapian-discuss] Python bindings not freeing memory during indexing

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Sep 4 11:01:24 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 01:10:19AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> > Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message (including any attached or
> > embedded documents) is intended for the exclusive and confidential
> > use of the individual or entity to which this message is addressed
>
> Please don't send mail with such notices to public mailing lists.
> The whole purpose of a public mailing list is to do many of the things
> it says we can't.  Essentially it imposes a potential legal liability
> on people you're asking to help you for free.
>
> If you're unable to prevent your work email system from appending them,
> sign up for a free webmail account and use that for mailing lists.  Or
> find a new job with a saner employer.

Incidentally, my reading of this is somewhat different: the individual
or entity to which the message is addressed is the *global* and *open*
Xapian community. So I don't have a problem with the notice, as I
don't think it legally imposes anything in this case. Ofc IANAL.

Of course, it's better not to add them, but there are some employers
that are legally required to have such messages on all "business
emails" (which is poorly defined, at least in the UK), and to avoid
missing some it is only really practical to add them to all outbound
emails. That doesn't make them poor employers.

Webmail fixes this, though. Unless it's blocked by your employer. They
*are* insane ;-)