[Xapian-discuss] Deprecation policy question

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Sep 24 15:51:21 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 03:32:04PM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:

[Start the deprecation cycle for an API call at minor releases]
> That's roughly what my option 2 suggests, of course.  Except that in
> option 2 we document the features as deprecated straight away.

Not just document; putting it into the warnings layer of the API,
which I think is a step too far.

> Still voting for option 1?

I think option 1 makes the most sense, yes. It feels orthogonal to how
we marry deprecation/new features and version numbers.

The thing is that I'm not convinced there's a problem with bumping the
minor version when we start a deprecation cycle. I don't see how that
can hurt, and it allows everything else to work smoothly.

(Admittedly this means our versions align slightly more with the so
ABI versioning, but in practice probably not enough to make a
difference, and in any case I'm not convinced that matters.)