[Xapian-discuss] Tcl binding - issues with configure

Michael Schlenker schlenk at uni-oldenburg.de
Thu Apr 17 15:14:58 BST 2008

Am 17.04.2008 um 11:48 schrieb Eric Junkermann:

> From http://wiki.tcl.tk/13173 :
>
> If you find bugs in Xapian, please report them so we can actually fix
> them! I stumbled across this page completely by accident. I've just
> fixed
> the first issue (down to m4 quoting). The second "fix" isn't correct
> for
> all platforms - for my Tcl installation (Ubuntu Hardy) - I get
> TCL_LIB=/usr/lib, and I don't want the Tcl bindings to go in
> /usr/xapian1.0.6! Suggestions for a better way to determine where to
> install are welcome. - OllyBetts
>
> Sorry about not doing a bug report - one-track mind going somewhere
> else
> at the time :-(
>
> This time, answer both there and here:
>
> TCL_LIB=/usr/lib + tcllibdir = @TCL_LIB@/../xapian at VERSION@ gives you
> /usr/xapian1.0.6, which is why I changed it, ending up with
> /usr/lib/xapian1.0.6 . Most Tcl extensions use that, though some use
> /usr/lib/tcl8.x/whatever. Apparently the right approach for
> determining
> where to install is to find and use tclConfig.sh which is part of
> the Tcl
> installation.

Not really true. There is no gold standard and your at the whim of
your local system policy whats right and whats a wrong install
location. (e.g. Debian has a policy for this and puts stuff under /usr/
share/tcltk IIRC).

So basically historically stuff gets dropped in /usr/lib, but thats
not the best choice for newer stuff.

/usr/lib has the benefit that it usually works. For a fully generic
answer you would need logic in the configure to figure out the local
system policy where to put Tcl packages. Its a mess basically.

Michael