[Xapian-discuss] Tcl binding - issues with configure

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Apr 18 01:17:43 BST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 03:23:04PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 04:14:58PM +0200, Michael Schlenker wrote:
>
> [TCL packaging locations]
> > There is no gold standard and your at the whim of
> > your local system policy whats right and whats a wrong install
> > location. (e.g. Debian has a policy for this and puts stuff under /usr/
> > share/tcltk IIRC).

It would be /usr/lib/tcltk for us, since we're architecture dependent.

> Systems that have policies will often have a packaging system, so
> providing we can provide a configure switch to change the install
> location, they shouldn't pose a problem.

This already exists, e.g.:

./configure TCL_LIB=/usr/lib/tcltk

> The issue is more for what the default should be in other cases.

Yes - ideally we want to do something sane by default (where "sane"
means roughly "will be found by Tcl" and "won't suprise most
sysadmins").

On modern Debian/Ubuntu, we now (current SVN) default to
/usr/local/lib/tcltk if you build from source (and debian/rules
overrides this to /usr/lib/tcltk using the mechanism above).
That's certainly where I'd expect a non-packaged, arch-dependent Tcl
module to be installed on such systems.