[Xapian-discuss] Dropping support for python 2.2

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Wed Apr 23 10:10:31 BST 2008

We're planning to drop support for python 2.2 in the 1.1.0 release.

The Python 2.2 release series last had a release nearly 5 years ago, and
is now essentially unsupported by upstream (there is a security patch
for the latest release (2.2.3) listed on the download page, but they
haven't gone to the trouble of rolling a release based on it).

We don't normally support bindings for versions of languages which are
not supported upstream, but python 2.2 has "just worked" for a while, so
there's been no reason to get rid of it.

Currently, xapian still works with python 2.2, but it is beginning to
show signs of becoming a maintenance headache, and I expect this burden
to increase over the next year.  In particular, we will shortly be
starting work on supporting python 3.0, which is a fairly major update;
supporting python 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 in parallel with 3.0 is going to be
enough  work.

If anyone is still using 2.2, and desperately wants us to continue to
support it in the 1.1.0 release, now is the time to make your case!

--
Richard