[Xapian-discuss] allterms iterator dangerous?

Francis Irving francis at flourish.org
Thu Apr 24 09:00:33 BST 2008

Is there a safe way of completely deleting a database, but from the
API, not by wiping it on the filesystem* ? This is for a 'rebuild all'
function.

I used to use the all terms iterator to do it but a) that seems slow!
and b) it is now marked "dangerous" (at least in the Ruby API).
Why is it dangerous, and is there an alternative?

The all terms iterator was also useful for the slightly less crazy
thing of looking for stray stuff that is in the index, but no longer
in the database.

Francis

* OK, you can try and convince me I should do this instead if you
like! It's just there might be things reading the database, so you'd
likely get errors pulling the database away erratically under their
feet.