[Xapian-discuss] Omega: partial searches

Frank Bruzzaniti frank.bruzzaniti at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 19:17:56 BST 2008

Hi guys,

So far so good, I have omega up and running, just a few silly questions:

Partial searches. In omega if I enter "red" I would get a match with the
word "red" but not "redhead", how would I search for the pattern within a
string. E.g. so when I enter "red" it returns "red" & "redhead"

Also I made a simple script that runs omindex then xapian-compact, is there
any issue with this?  I thought I might as well compress the database at the
end of each omindex run.

Also I scheduled the script in crontab, but I'm thinking it might be a bad
idea if the script's run time is longer the the cron interval.
E.g. If the scrpt takes 1 hour to run but I've set crontab job to run every
15 mins.  Would I be better to create a script that runs on boot and keeps
running with maybe a wait/sleep at the end?

Also I noted that when the script runs it say's that it updates files even
tho i haven't altered them, is this normal?.   What's also suspecious is
that everytime I run omindex it takes almost the exact amout of time to run
even tho no files have changed.  Is there an easy way to only "scan" what's
changed?

I guess at the end of the day I'm trying to keep an index that's able to
update files as they are added or best effort.

Also is the database searchable wile indexing is occuring, my tests say yes,
just wanna double check

Thanks

Frank