[Xapian-discuss] wildcards and prefix searches

Donncha Redmond dredmond at e-xact.com
Thu Aug 21 03:12:30 BST 2008

Hey all,

I'm using Xapian through acts_as_xapian and would like to know why
trailing wildcards do not work on prefix searches.

Specifically, I have a Merchant model with a Description field, mapped
to the prefix "desc".

If I then search for "desc:goods" I get 4 matches, but if I search for
"desc:goo*" I get 0.

However, when searching normal, non-prefixed fields, "goo*" would
return at least the same amount of matches as "goods".

Anyone know how I can configure Xapian to support trailing wildcards
on prefixes?

thanks,
donncha