[Xapian-discuss] Xapian's scoring/sorting compared to Google's

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Mon Dec 15 11:12:05 GMT 2008

Greets,

For the sake of argument and general discussion, let's assume you have
a value similar to Google's PageRank which you use for secondary
sorting (ie, relevance first, then pagerank).

Is this the best approach to use for sorting (to approach the general
results of Google in a simplistic fashion)?  My gut impression from
Google results is that this is /roughly/ what they're doing, or am I
wrong?  Is Google sorting by PageRank first, *then* result relevance?

Any comments?

Thanks
Henry