[Xapian-discuss] Database `default' couldn't be opened

张慧聪 zhcfreesea at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 04:55:26 GMT 2008

Hi, I've got a problem when I'm using omega to search.
I followed the steps on http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/OmegaExample . Then I
turned on my apache, then tried to view http://localhost/cgi-bin/omega.cgi .
The error occurred as follows:
  ------------------------------
 Matching any words Matching all words Database `default' couldn't be opened

   ------------------------------
*Xapian - xapian-omega 1.0.9 <http://www.xapian.org/>*
Then I tried to use lynx under root user, but the same error occurred.
Nothing can be searched out.
But when I used  the quickstartsearch (the program compiled from
quickstartsearch.cpp in the quickstart web page of the official site) to
search the default database as follow:
#./quickstartsearch /var/lib/omega/data/default "key"
It works well.
But if I use quickstartsearch under common user, another error would be
occurred: Exception: Couldn't detect type of database
I've already chmod the default directory to 446.