[Xapian-discuss] Exception: Couldn't read enough (EOF)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Feb 2 03:49:52 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 05:39:54PM +0100, Andreas Marienborg wrote:

> On 31. jan.. 2008, at 17.28, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> >Are you on a multicore/multiprocessor machine?  That might make this
> >more likely to manifest.
>
> yes, 4-way system, but single proc writing (indexer-daemon)

I suspect that means it's more likely that a reader can run while the
base file is being rewritten.

> >I think I need to write a patch and get you to test it.  As a
> >workaround, catching the exception and simply retrying reopen() should
> >do the trick.
>
> I can try, but I might have a hard time reproducing it in anything but
> prod, which is a bit hard to test.

I guess all you can really do is apply the patch and run as normal.  If
the problem hasn't manifested after a reasonable period of time, then we
will just have to assumed that we've nailed it.

Here's the patch I've applied to SVN HEAD, which should apply to recent
releases as I don't believe we've touched this code for a while:

http://svn.xapian.org/trunk/xapian-core/backends/flint/flint_table.cc?r1=10081&r2=10080&view=patch&pathrev=10081