[Xapian-discuss] Xapian Debian/Ubuntu repositiories does not work (APT does not handle redirects!)

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Thu Feb 14 09:48:15 GMT 2008

Hello everybody.

I just tried installing xapian according to instructions on
http://xapian.org/download.php on Ubuntu Gutsy and on Debian Etch.
The result is in both cases the same:

Failed to fetch http://www.xapian.org/debian/dists/gutsy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  301 Moved Permanently
Failed to fetch http://www.xapian.org/debian/dists/gutsy/main/source/Sources.gz  301 Moved Permanently

Failed to fetch http://www.xapian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/Sources.gz  301 Moved Permanently
Failed to fetch http://www.xapian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  301 Moved Permanently

The reason is simple, APT does not handle HTTP redirects. Yes, I know,
that's stupid. But I can't do anything about it. Even if they patch it
some day (and there are some flames about possible security
consequences), those patches won't be backported.

So if the archive for debian's and ubuntu's is to be useful, it can't
use redirects.