[Xapian-discuss] Xapian Debian/Ubuntu repositiories does not work (APT does not handle redirects!)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Feb 16 14:32:54 GMT 2008

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 12:10:37PM +0000, James Aylett wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:30:51AM +0100, Jesper Krogh wrote:
>
> > the archive should be properly digitally signed to provide the real
> > security.
>
> These days with Debian it is I believe.

Both Debian and Ubuntu sign their packages, and have for some time.  Our
repo on www.xapian.org is also signed.

> But if that's their attitude, there's not really much we can do about
> it, sigh :-/

Yes, continuing this discussion here won't achieve anything useful -
we've already established what we need to do - serve packages from
www.xapian.org without redirects.

As the original poster noted, even if apt were changed in the near
future, we'd have to wait until lenny and hardy were the oldest releases
we supplied backports for before we could actually use redirects when
serving packages.

If people want apt to change, they need to take it up with the apt
maintainers using the appropriate mailing lists or bug trackers.