[Xapian-discuss] Stemming question`

Jim jim at fayettedigital.com
Wed Feb 20 16:23:46 GMT 2008

Olly Betts wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 09:07:40AM -0500, Jim wrote:
>
>> time times
>> sound sounded south southern
>> wandered wanderer
>>
>> Are all shown as terms.
>>

> Stemmed terms produced by TermGenerator have a Z prefix:
>
> http://xapian.org/docs/termgenerator.html
>
> Cheers,
>     Olly

I didn't realize things had changed so much at 1.0.  Thanks.

The next question is, once I have found a document that has been stemmed
and I hit on a stem, can I generate the terms that were stemmed?  In
other words, some where there is a function (explicit or implicit) that
gives the index "want" if I pass it "wants" or "wanted" or "wanting",
etc.  So is there a reverse function I can call or use?

I'm working on a highlighting demo for the wiki and want to be able to
highlight words in the document that match the unstemmed forms of the
terms I'm getting back.

Thanks,
Jim.