[Xapian-discuss] minor problem

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Jan 10 21:20:44 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 02:47:14PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> I previously found a post on lkml (which I can't seem to relocate now)
> where someone queried this behaviour and was told it was as specified by
> POSIX, so it seems fcntl() is just broken by design (or more kindly, it
> was probably designed before threads were an issue).

That's entirely believable. Threads don't sit entirely comfortably in
the POSIX worldview in a number of ways.

(Incidentally, <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-08/msg00854.html>
seems to be saying the same thing.)

> I don't know why these problems don't seem to be more widely known.

ISTR that SQLite knows about this. It doesn't work round it, IIRC, it
just tells you it's a problem in the documentation somewhere. (SQLite
believes that Threads Are Evil.)