[Xapian-discuss] Phrase Search on Stemmed Data

dd ddturbo at gmx.de
Sat Jan 12 14:48:49 GMT 2008

Hello
>> If i lowercase all words I get matches for stemmed terms, but I won't
>> get a match on a phrase search (when capitalized terms occur).
>>

> Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here.

Just an example, where neither strategy is working. If I lowercase the
whole querystring before parsing then the terms all get stemmed what
leads to my desired behaviour. If a querystring with a phrase occurs
now, I won't get a match if there have been words with leading capital
letters occur (during indexing).

I may catch these two cases before parsing the query, but a solution in
Xapian is cleaner (especially if one may enter a query like >>" Xapian
Queryparser" parses queries<<, I think I have to create two queries then
to get what I am looking for??! ... hope I'm not wrong with this... )

>> Is that an issue I have to handle myself, or is there on other
>> opportunity in Xapian.
>>

> Not at the moment, but we should add a way, and it's not hard to do.
> Could you please file a wishlist bug for this?

Sure, should I create an entry in the bugtracker?

I've looked up queryparser_internal.cc, maybe you can spot me the
location where I can change the source
(found something like should_stem, where the decision is made, if a word
should be stemmed or not, but I'm no C++ expert ;-) )

Thank you very much,

Deniz