[Xapian-discuss] Xapian across multiple servers

Rob S rtshilston at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:54:44 BST 2008

Hi,

We're looking to deploy Xapian as a search solution for a website
that's run across a number of load-balanced web servers.  However,
I've not seen any clear indication in the documentation as to how it's
recommended to operate Xapian in a load balanced / high availability
configuration, or how to distribute the content-changes into the
indexer.  Has anyone got any particular recommendations?  My feeling
is that the following are all possibilities:

1) Run Xapian locally on each front-end webserver, and distribute
content changes via existing messaging infrastructure.  This will
clearly work, but it's not necessarily optimal.
2) Run Xapian locally on each front-end webserver, but storing the
index on shared storage.  This will be I/O intensive, but doesn't
involve syncing changes to out to each front-end.
3) Run Xapian centrally, and access it using the remote protocol from
each front end.  This obviously makes it easier to construct the
index, but it's not obvious how to make this scalable / HA.
4) Something else?

I'd be really grateful if someone can share their success stories (or
otherwise).

Cheers,

Rob