[Xapian-discuss] Feature request: Ligthen pressure on backup

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Mar 24 12:34:01 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 07:07:38AM +0100, Jesper Krogh wrote:

> Another solution could be to let Xapian query several databases and
> "merge" the result. Then I could make a new database each day and merge
> once a week (or another timepattern that would fit the purpose).

Jesper - Xapian can query multiple databases. You have to manage
yourself which database you write into, but a database per day or
similar would allow this. (You could perhaps merge fully shortly
before you would do a level 0 backup anyway.)

If you're doing this kind of index-to-new-then-merge strategy (which
some people use for the different challenge of live indexing with high
search load), then the xapian-compact(1) command will probably be
helpful to you.

Note that if you ascribe external meaning to Xapian document ids (for
instance referencing them in a relational database), you may need to
change things a little (such as by bringing external ids into Xapian
and storing them in the document data, ie reversing the dependency)
because of the way multiple database support is implemented.

You may want to look at:

<http://xapian.org/docs/admin_notes.html#backup-strategies>

and

<http://xapian.org/docs/admin_notes.html#merging-databases>

for some other notes that may be of use here.