[Xapian-discuss] Feature request: Ligthen pressure on backup

Michael Schlenker schlenk at uni-oldenburg.de
Fri Mar 28 23:41:24 GMT 2008

Kevin Duraj schrieb:
> We were told that Flint database is more compact than Quartz database
> and uses less disk space and we must sacrificed some performance
> because of it. It seems that this might not be entirely true, because
> after some inserts and deletes from Flint database, Flint database
> grows exponentially to the size of Quartz database and often must be
> compact. Looks like we do not have smaller database with Flint
> database than we had with Quartz database, but for sure we lost
> significant performance during indexing.
>
> Who is behind the Flint database? Can we vote on this issue as community?
Just demand your money back because of false claims... ;-). As always
for open source communities you can vote with your feet and adopt
something else, Lucene or create a fork of Xapian that still uses Quartz
or whatever else strikes you as a better use for your time and money.

But honestly: If you see things are slow or got slower, either hire
someone to fix the slowness, or at least provide the community with a
reproducible test case that demonstrates your issue.

So where are the profiling logs, the test datasets the community could
use to hunt this issue or other helpful data? If you lost significant
performance with Flint vs Quartz at least run a profiler on the code and
post the results so there is something to look at and fix. Where is the
big picture, I/O activity logs for same workload with older Quartz based
Xapian vs. newer Flint based, Memory profiles, etc. Tools like valgrind
(http://valgrind.org/info/tools.html) might be helpfull to get some
detailed profiles of whats up during indexing.

Michael