[Xapian-discuss] A few questions wrt Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Nov 6 13:58:48 GMT 2008

On 05/11/2008, Henka <henka at cityweb.co.za> wrote:
> Olly, could you possibly comment?  I'd be happy with one-word terse comments

I could, but Richard has answered already.

Apologies for being less responsive than usual - I'm back in the UK for a few
weeks and currently my internet access is the local library which firewalls ssh.

> 5.  This is difficult I know:  how does Xapian compare
> performance-wise?  Has anyone done any basic benchmarking?

I've not seen many comparative benchmarks (or even qualitative studies) between
Xapian and other systems and I'm not aware of any that I find very satisfactory.

A benchmark really needs to have the data used available and include enough
information to allow a third party to repeat it, and few do.  Often
people don't even
mention which versions of the software they are comparing!

But generally the feedback I've had is that Xapian performs well.  If you do see
areas where we do worse than other systems, it probably means there's scope
for profiling to find bottlenecks.