[Xapian-discuss] Xapian's definition of a field

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Fri Nov 7 14:19:43 GMT 2008

> Quoting "Peter Karman" <peter at peknet.com>:
>> You might want to check out this old thread, in which I asked
>> similar questions when I was starting with Xapian.
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/2024

Thanks - that explains how I can use the concept of "fields" in Xapian.

I'll probably eventually stumble upon an explanation somewhere in the
docs regarding the other question:

"Lastly, what is add_value(valueno, strvalue) for?  "

Anyone care to proffer an explanation? :-)  The docs are quite
thorough, but often only state what the function/method __does__, not
it's raison d'etre.

Cheers
Henry