[Xapian-discuss] add_posting(): term position significance - line or offset?

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Tue Nov 18 18:29:34 GMT 2008

> Not currently...
>
> Cheers,
>    Olly

Pity - is that an issue which needs to be addressed in search-code
only, or indexing and search?

Hmm, based on my admittedly superficial understanding of Xapian so
far:  if the positional info is available for all term postings, then
could the search code not be extended to score higher for terms closer
together?  This to my mind would be a rather important aspect of
scoring, and one which I'd like to explore with a view to possible
sponsored development (small personal purse, so don't get too excited:).

Thoughts?

Henry