[Xapian-discuss] Multiple databases vs Single large database

Bradley brad.zangel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 02:29:35 GMT 2008

Hi
I've decided to use xapian because my files table in my mysql database is going
to grow very large, and it seems mysql isn't good at full text searching. I'm
doing this with the php wrapper by the way.

The way my system is set out, each user has their own set of files, and when
doing a search it is going to be for a specific user's file (based on file
name, title, description). Although at some point we may decide we want
functionality to search for files for a list of users or all users.

I was planning on having a xapian database for each user's files. Would it be
better this way (multiple databases), or to have on large database for all
users files, as I'm doing with mysql. I'm thinking mainly with regard to
performance, feel free to add other thoughts.

Thanks
Bradley