[Xapian-discuss] Searching in all "fields" by default

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Sat Nov 22 20:02:40 GMT 2008

Hello all,

Our application uses several dozen 'fields' as the basis for searching
(migrating from another indexing system).  ie, all indexed data is
stored in fields.  Searching these fields works as expected (ie, with
prefixes, etc).

To my chagrin, I've encountered an unexpected problem:  the previous
indexing system would search all fields by default, but Xapian
requires you to specify the fields you want to search in...  am I
understanding this correctly?  If I search for 'title:bob', I get
results as expected; if I search for 'bob' I get 0.

Our system uses many fields with specific weights.  Is there a way to
have Xapian search all fields by default, without having to specify
them in the search query?  I suspect I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks
Henry