[Xapian-discuss] Searching in all "fields" by default

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Mon Nov 24 04:32:38 GMT 2008

Quoting "Peter Karman" <peter at peknet.com>:
> Xapian doesn't really have a 'field' feature. The prefix is used to mimic the
> idea of a field. You need to index each term with and without a prefix to get
> the effect you want.

I'm aware of this - I've used prefixes on all terms, and I can
successfully search on these simulated fields (hence the quotes around
'field').

...but I get your point, it (belatedly) dawned on me as I was typing
this that the prefixes attached to the terms (XTITLEbob) would prevent
a normal search for 'bob' from finding anything.

Conclusion:  index every term with and _without_ prefixes...  Lots of
extra indexing time and space consumption, but I guess that's the way
it is.

Cheers
Henry