[Xapian-discuss] Searching in all "fields" by default

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Mon Nov 24 11:36:41 GMT 2008

Quoting "Daniel Ménard" <Daniel.Menard at ehesp.fr>:
> However, I've read on this list that I/O was always the main factor:
> indexing twice (one time with prefixes and one without) will
> significantly impact the database size, doubling the number of terms in
> the index.

Yes, I've already noticed this.  I did a quick index of a batch and
the index size almost doubled - this will, in my experience, lead to
I/O issues, even for distributed searching.

> On the other hand, parsing the query and expanding terms is
> very fast. Xapian will have to search for more terms but the index will
> be more compact and is more likely to be completely kept in memory.

Anecdotally, I also agree here.  My quick search tests across almost
all the fields still yielded quick responses.

I'll provide more real-world results once I've got a nice chubby index
to play with, time permitting.

Regards
Henry