[Xapian-discuss] Size of the index

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Tue Nov 25 07:52:53 GMT 2008

Quoting "Justine Demeyer" <justine.demeyer at gmail.com>:
> I have a question about the size of the Xapian index.
>
> I indexed a set of 200 000 data who has a global size of about 1Gb and the
> index created has a size of more than 3Gb!! What can explain this
> difference???

You'll find this with all indexing systems, to some degree.  The size
of your index is almost always larger than the raw text, depending on
how you've structured the index/terms, whether you're stopalizing,
etc, and also depends on whether you've compacted the DB.

If you post more detail about your index then that will help to
pinpoint why your index is so large.

Cheers
Henry